Sep 22, 2008

Confession

I was sitting here earlier today contemplating taking a break but I had to ask myself, take a break from what? I’d been piddling around all morning, not really writing.

One of the things I promised myself when I started this blog is that I’d be totally honest. So here goes:

After the burst of 400 words on Saturday I fizzled right out. Then Sunday I didn’t even open my document file. Yeah, I know in my Sunday post I said I’d been working on it. Other than the fact that I did feel the urge to edit what’s best left alone, I lied. See, that’s the pattern for me. I start out all gung ho and then start tapering off (usually rather quickly) and then I start lying about my progress, and then I stop posting about my progress at all. Then I start making excuses about why I’m not writing.

The fact that I’d had large word counts for six days in a row lulled me into a false sense of security that I had my dysthemia under control. But the problem with any kind of depression is that it’s never really under control, it’s always there and you have to really work at it to not let it take over your life.

So, now that we’ve cleared the air, I can say that my word count for the last three days is as follows:
Magic +705
Changeling +3264
New Short Story +557
Three Day Total +4526

Not outrageously stellar for three days work, but not bad either. Today I’d just about given up, I couldn’t really get any thing done on Magic or the short story, but I pulled up Changeling picked up where I left on it. I guess the message for myself here is, if A isn’t working go to B and if B isn’t working than go to C. There’s a reason I have so many stories on the go.

No comments: