Oct 27, 2008

Cheese Anyone?

The weather (and my mood) have not greatly improved, but I’m working on it (my mood, not the weather).

The cheese I am offering is to go with all the whining from people who don’t know where to get ideas for stories. I’m sorry, but if you haven’t figured it out by now, then maybe writing is not for you.

“You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we’’re doing it.”
~Neil Gaiman

Here’s what happens to me. My mind wanders. It meets someone. All of a sudden, that someone starts having an adventure, maybe even meets some more someones. Before I know what’s happened I have a full-blown idea roaming around in my head and it wants out onto some paper (or onto the computer screen). And it will continue to wander in my head, going in circles, refining itself, until I finally cave and at the very least write an outline for it.

Now this may sound all well and good, but it isn’t. Trust me on this. These ideas are persistent, and pushy. They are not willing to wait while I finish the piece I’m working on, they’re like spoiled children. They want attention NOW! And if they don’t get it they start intruding on my other writing; a word here or a phrase there, popping up where it’s least expected.

Even when I’m not writing, there’s always an adventure going on inside my head.

So listen, all you whiners out there. It could be worse. Instead of searching for ideas you could have so many they start leaking out of your fingers.

Now wouldn’t that make a good idea for a story?

No comments: