Apr 6, 2009

Best Laid Plans . . .

A funny thing happened on the way to editing.

I was hanging out on the poetry forum at AW on Saturday - posted a limerick, even critiqued a couple of poems - and someone did a post about the Poem A Day Challenge over on Writer’s Digest. This sounded so cool that I decided to check it out.

It’s simple really. Every day for the month of April, Robert Lee Brewer will offer a prompt to get you started on a poem. The poems are posted in the comments for each day’s post. At the end of the challenge, the best poems will be included in an e-book and you have a chance to become the 2009 Poet Laureate for Poetic Asides.

The full rules are HERE.

The beauty of this challenge is that you can join in any time. just make sure your poem is posted under the correct day’s comments.

Even though I heard about it on Saturday, I didn’t start my participation until Sunday, which meant I had five poems to catch up on. At first, five poems seemed pretty daunting, but it wasn’t as bad as it seemed. I think the hardest one was the first one, it took me a long time to come up with a subject.

Now granted these aren’t some of the longest poems I’ve ever created - in fact for the day three challenge I wrote a limerick - but at least they’re something. I think you can already guess what’s going to be showing up here on Creative Friday. ;-)

No comments: