Apr 25, 2009

Book Meme

I couldn’t decide which of my blogs I should post this on, so it’s going on both. I was tagged by Benjamin Solah and you can check out his blog HERE . I, in turn, tag anyone who cares to have some fun!

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
Perhaps a better question would be print books or e-books. I prefer a book I can hold in my hands. Size doesn’t matter. ;-)
Barnes & Noble or Borders?
Barnes & Who? This is Canada baby. It’s Chapters/Indigo all the way.
Bookmarks or dog-ear?
Bookmarks. You dog-ear one of my books and I’ll beat you to death with it!
Amazon or brick-and-mortar?
I loves me a good bookstore. I’ve only ever bought books once online, and that was because these particular books were only available through the publisher that way.
Alphabetize by author, by title or randomize?
Um, how about piled up by size because I need another bookcase (again!). Some day I would like to have my books alphabetized. You know, when I can afford to have someone do it for me.
Keep, throw away or sell?
What kind of question is this? Of course I keep my books! This is why we have lived in the same house for 30 years - no one can face having to pack up my library.
Keep dust jacket or remove it?
Keep it.
Read with dust jacket or remove it?With the dust jacket - in a pinch the flap can unfold and be used as a bookmark.
Short story or novel?
Yes. :-) It depends on my mood. I like anthologies ‘cause the stories don’t require a large investment of time, but I like novels because sometimes I like a story that lasts a long time.
Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
I’ve only read a couple of Harry Potter books and none of Lemony Snicket, so to be honest I don’t really have an opinion either way.
Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
You’re supposed to stop?
“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
How about “Once upon a time it was a dark and stormy night”?
Buy or borrow?
Oh, please! Have you not seen my posts on my everyday blog about my pilgrimages to Chapters? Trust me, I don’t go there for the Starbucks!
Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations or browse?
I’m mostly a browser.
Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
Tidy ending. Unless I know ahead of time that this book is Book “x” of a series, then I think cliffhanger endings are a cheat.
Morning, afternoon or nighttime reading?
All three.
Stand alone or series?
Both. I prefer books that are part of a series but can stand alone as well.
Favorite series?
Um . . .uh . . . there’s a lot of them. The Swords & Sorceress anthologies, edited by Marion Zimmer Bradley; the Valdemar series, by Mercedes Lackey; the Newford books, by Charles de Lint; Lynsay Sands’ Argeneau Vampires; J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood books . . . I’d keep going but this is a pretty long post as it is.
Favorite children’s book?
One Kitten Is Not Too Many; It Came From Outer Space; Whose Mouse Are You? (I forget who they’re by, all different authors though). Anything by Robert Munsch.
Favorite YA book?
Honestly, I’m not a big reader of YA, but the last one I read was If I Have A Wicked Stepmother, Then Where’s My Prince.
Favorite book of which no one else has heard of?
Probably the Woodwife, by Terri Windling.
Favorite books read last year?
Okay, I’m a voracious reader. I carry a book with me wherever I go. I have books in every room of the house, even the bathrooms. Last year was four months ago, do you know how many books I’ve read since then?
Favorite books of all time?Pretty much anything by Charles de Lint; the Woodwife, by Terri Windling; the Lord of the Rings trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkein; The Stand, by Stephen King - I’d better stop here before I get carried away.
What are you reading right now?
Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke; The Mammoth Book of Women’s Erotic Fantasies edited by Sonia Florens; The Lost Garden by Helen Humphreys.
What are you reading next?
The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint; Secret Life of A Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks; Mona Lisa Craving by Sunny.
Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old?
Probably the Enchanted Forest series by Patricia Wrede.
Favorite book to re-read?
The Woodwife, by Terri Windling.
Do you ever smell books?
Only if one of the cats has been bad. ;-)
Do you ever read primary source documents, like letters or diaries?No, not really.

No comments: