May 4, 2009

Apres Weekend

I did a silly thing over the weekend. I hurt my shoulder.

As much as I’d like to say I did it gardening, ‘cause I did spend some time out in the garden on Saturday, that’s not what happened. What happened was the two day book sale at St. Peter’s Church. Yes, that’s right. I hurt my shoulder carrying copious amounts of books to my car.

I bought some reference books, a few novels, and even a couple of books of poetry. I even bought an "Absolute Beginner's Guide to Computers" for my sister, who's technologically challenged (she was afraid to use MSN messenger because it said "Live Messenger" and she didn't want to be live on the internet). I bought so many books I haven't even had a chance to go through them all yet. Lord only knows where I'm going to put them!

I confess. I’m a book-a-holic. And proud of it!

* * * * * * * * * *

Even though I don’t usually post to my blogs on the weekend, I do still try to get some writing done. My focus kind of narrowed to poetry while I was doing the PAD challenge, and I neglected my fiction writing shamefully.

To be honest, I didn’t get as much accomplished as I hoped to, writing wise, this weekend and I really have no one to blame but myself. Saturday I kept letting myself be distracted by other things and Sunday I had an attack of lazy-itis.

So late Sunday night I decided that what I need, though I hated to admit it, are goals. I’ve been talking about them, I’ve been reading about them. Time to start setting them. So, here they are:

Daily goal: 2,000 words (blogging and letter writing do not count)
Weekly goal: 1 new poem (if I can do a poem a day for a month, a poem a week, to keep my hand in, should be a piece of cake)
Monthly goal: submit no less than one piece of work (probably poetry)

Yeah, I know it’s not much, but it’s a start. Sometime I’ll add an editing goal in there but right now I’d like to focus on the word count. I’d also like to dust off my short story files. I’ve got a lot of stories tucked away and some of them aren’t too bad. I’ve grown a lot as a writer since I last took a look at them, it will be interesting to see what I make of them now.

2 comments:

Jamie D. said...

Thanks for the laugh this morning! :-) I can't think of a better way to hurt one's shoulder, if it has to be done!

2000 words per day is nothing to sneeze at - I have trouble fitting in my 1700 per day during NaNo, so if you can stick to that, excellent! Good goals...thanks for sharing, and I look forward to hearing about all of your success...

C R Ward said...

I have a small space against one wall left in my office that I was saving for a comfy chair to sit in, but I think I'll be getting a bookcase to go in there instead.

It's not like I'd actually get to sit in the chair myself - not with 5 chair stealing cats around!