May 27, 2010

Quinzaine

Oops! This is what happens when you schedule a post without your glasses. I had it set for PM instead of AM and when I checked it after work it wouldn't let me change it. Silly blogger!

When I promise a short form, I really mean it! :-)

The English word quinzaine come from the French word qunize, meaning fifteen. A quinzaine is an unrhymed verse of fifteen syllables.

These syllables are distributed among three lines so that there are seven syllables in the first line, five in the second line and three in the third line (7/5/3). The first line makes a statement. The next two lines ask a question relating to that statement.

Here's the pattern:

Line 1: Statement of 7 syllables

Line 2: Beginning of question with 5 syllables

Line 3: End of question with 3 syllables

As you will probably be able to tell, I had a lot of fun with these:


I love the changing seasons
Is it summer yet?
Who can tell?

The koi swim in lazy rings
What are they thinking?
Do they think?

The gardens look amazing
Is it the flowers?
Or colours?

Ducks landing in our pool
Have you eaten yet?
Want some bread?

A new adventure looming
Am I brave enough?
Will I dare?

No comments: