May 16, 2014

What I'm Reading




I didn't get as much reading in as I would have liked, but I was pretty busy last week. I did manage to buy a couple more tree books though. They're currently sitting on my desk, waiting to be placed in the "to be read" line-up. ;-)

Don't forget to check out this week's free story, Five Starving Cats and a Dead Dog, by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. I'm pretty sure I've read this one before in an anthology, but it didn't take anything away from it.

And there's also Necromancy in Naat , by Clark Ashton Smith. I thought zombies had only been around since the 60's, with Night of the Living Dead, but apparently I was wrong. This zombie story is from a 1936 edition of Weird Tales.

Electronic Books

Once again there was no progress on The Cobweb Bride by Vera Nazarian, Mr. Love by Sally Mason, or Dark Love by Claudy Conn, but again progress was made on the Darlings of Paranormal Romance anthology.

This is actually an anthology of novels, and I finished the western werewolf one, Waking Up Dead, by Catherine Wolffe, which appears to be part of a series. When I said last week that it was better than I expected, I meant the story idea itself, even though it read like fan fiction for Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer. It was a little rough around the edges and badly in need of editing, or at the very least proof reading. While I could overlook glaring spelling errors such as "Liken" for "Lycan" as the author's take on the werewolves themselves, other spelling mistakes, like using "suave" for "salve" really set my teeth on edge. And imagine my surprise when I got to the end of this novel and found out this is an award-winning author. Seriously? What was the award for, inventive spelling?

Tree Books

Again I didn't get back to Hunting the Corrigan's Blood by Holly Lisle. It's now on the floor beside my chair, but once again I just wasn't in the mood for science fiction.

Re-Reads

I'm finished with Sword and Sorceress IV, and I'm about three stories into Sword and Sorceress V.

I'm afraid there was no progress on Memory and Dream by Charles de Lint, last week either. I have it on the dining room table, the theory being that I'll read while I eat. But I haven't been eating at the table lately.

What can I say? It was just one of those weeks. :-)

No comments: