Jul 4, 2014

What I'm Reading




I missed my report last week, so it's going to look like I got lots of extra reading in. :-)

Electronic Books

I finished Do Me, Do My Roots, by Eileen Rendahl. It wrapped up nicely with all three sisters in romantic relationships. A little understated, perhaps, but it was a nice "get-away-from-it-all" book.

Now you'd think I'd dive in to one of the other books I have started on my Kindle, Namely The Cobweb Bride by Vera Nazarian, Mr. Love by Sally Mason, or Dark Love by Claudy Conn. But I also recall saying I was going to read them in the order they appeared in my Currently Reading folder. And the first book in my Currently Reading folder turned out to be Beers In Heaven, by Ford Forkum.

For some reason, I could hear the voice of the narrator from the BBC series of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy while reading the description of Heaven. The story follows the death of Zack Preston, a young failed song-writer, as he ascends to Heaven and goes through his orientation. And while I enjoyed the character of Zack as he coped with memory loss, learning to fly, and an orientation coach who seemed to be working at cross-purposes, I have to admit that my favourite character was Woobles, a giraffe whose very presence was an accident. And I especially loved the way Ford was able to work in a cross-over scene of a previous work, Alien Invasion of the Zombie Apocalypse, in a completely logical way.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable book, and I have to say, when my time comes, I hope Heaven is the way Ford Forkum depicts it. :-)

Tree Books

I still haven't gotten back to Hunting the Corrigan's Blood by Holly Lisle. One of these days . . .

I finished The Blue Girl, by Charles de Lint rather quickly. The story revolves around Imogene, whose family recently moved to the fictional city of Newford, where so many of de Lint's stories are set. She becomes friends with a girl named Maxine, and then a ghost named Adrian, who inadvertently causes trouble for Imogene. But with the help of Maxine and Pelly, Imogene's not-so-imaginary friend, everything works out for the best in the end. At least as well as it can for a girl who's been turned blue. If you're familiar with de Lint's Newford books, you'll recognize some of the adults the two girls turn to for advice, but even if you're not, it's an excellent book.

Re-Reads

I read another few stories from Sword and Sorceress V, and I've only got a couple more to go. I should be able to finish it this week.

And it's been getting harder and harder to resist re-reading some of the books I've been cataloguing. This week I started The She Devil, by Robert E. Howard. It's a little more . . . risqué than I recall Howard's books being, and the name of it is deceptive. It's a collection of adventure stories, most of which revolve around Wild Bill Clanton, somewhat of a pirate, and only the first two could be said to be of the "She Devil" as well. Still, it's a pretty good read.

No comments: