Nov 7, 2014

What I'm Reading

Reading? Are you kidding me? Who has time to read during National Novel Writing Month?



But I didn't want to just skip Friday altogether, so I decided to entertain you with a little poetry. You can thank me later. LOL

So what brought this on, you might ask? Wednesday I participated in the annual Poet in the Classroom at one of our local highschools. That's not really what it's called, that's just what I call it. One of the teachers has a class called Writer's Craft, and when he comes to the section where he's teaching his students poetry, he gets in touch with a few of us local poets and we visit his class and try and impress his students with how great poetry is.

This year, the school wasn't offering the Writer's Craft class, so instead we spoke with just regular English students. We normally do a bit of a workshop with them, but since they weren't even learning poetry at this juncture, our leader poet (I don't know what else you'd call him) presented a seminar on Haiku, and we broke up into groups to write some.

Do I really need to explain Haiku to you? Japanese in origin, no rhyme, 17 syllables? *sigh* Tell you what. If you really don't know what it is and want to learn all about it, I'd advise you to visit the Shadow Poetry site, which has the most well written explanation I've seen yet.

Anyway, not being one to turn down a challenge, I wrote a few Haiku myself, just to show the kids how easy it was.


Dark clouds scudding fast -
weak winter sun under siege
until spring returns.

Nothing left inside
autumn winds sweep words away -
silence in its wake.

A midnight moonscape
trees tucked under their snow quilt -
mother nature sleeps.

Dandelion head
reflected in the night sky
mirror of the moon.


And there you have it. Four Haiku, just for you, fresh off the pen. :-)

No comments: