May 18, 2015

Mulctuary Monday

mulctuary ~ punishable by a fine

The big news, for those of you who haven't liked my author page on Facebook yet, is that I have finished the edits on Lucky Dog. Finally. It is now in the hands of my editor and I fully expect her to return it to me in (electronic) shreds, wondering why it took me two years to finish this drivel. ;-)

Okay, maybe it's not quite that bad, but I did have to pretty much re-write the last half of it. But I managed to cut a little over 11,000 words from it, bringing the total wordage to just under 91,000. And I think it's a better story for it.

Now, unfortunately, I need to start thinking about a cover. The picture I wanted to use is unavailable, so I'm starting from scratch. I'm sure one of the stock photo sites will have something similar, it's just a matter of finding it.

If you're in Canada, you probably have the day off today, celebrating the birthday of Queen Victoria.

It's the twenty-fourth of May
The queen's birthday
If we don't get a holiday
We'll all run away.

Okay, so it's not really the 24th of May, it's only the 18th. Somewhere along the line it was decided to celebrate the queen's birthday on the third Monday in May, no matter what the date was. I'm resisting the urge to check Google to see if she really was born on a Monday. ;-)

Last night a few people were setting off fireworks. When I was a kid, I remember Victoria Day was the holiday that had the massive fireworks displays, and Canada Day was barely given a nod. I'm not sure when they switched places, but now Canada Day is the one that's heavy on the fireworks. Of course that didn't stop my asshat neighbors behind us from setting off some last night. After midnight, I might add. I looked up the town's bylaw regarding fireworks and discovered that the cut-off time is 11 p.m., however they'd already stopped so I couldn't make a complaint. But you can bet I'll be ready for them in July for Canada Day!

And finally, because I know you're curious, my orchid has opened yet another blossom. It brings a smile to my face every time I go into the kitchen. And there are two more buds on the end of the bloom stalk - is it possible I might end up with nine blossoms? That would be so cool!





Now . . . if I could only figure out how to get my African violet to bloom. :-D

No comments: