Jun 27, 2016

Manicism Monday

manicism ~ left-handedness

I used to be a list maker, and not all that long ago either. I like lists. They help me get/stay organized by showing at a glance what all I have to get done, and there’s nothing like the satisfaction of checking items off as they’re completed.

I’m not sure why I stopped using lists, but Friday night I found myself sitting down and making out list of what all I wanted to accomplish over the weekend. It was a pretty long list and I had no expectation of getting everything done, but at least it gave me an idea of what all I had to do.

Despite a plethora of other, probably more urgent things that needed to be done, I chose to start with cleaning out my craft closet.



Look at all those nicely labelled bins! And now my sewing stuff is a little easier to access, which is good because I’ve been in a sewing mood lately. This was followed by cleaning out the big chest freezer in the basement and the fridge freezer.

Now while these things were on my list, they were not the most important things. The more important things would have been cleaning the house and making salads in preparation for the in-laws coming to dinner on Sunday.

Because the closet cleaning was so time consuming, that and the freezers were pretty much all I had time for on Saturday. Which meant I had a whole crap load of stuff to get done on Sunday. However, much to my surprise, I got everything I needed to get done finished before my company arrived. Including making a plum pie. Sort of.

One of the grandbaby’s favourite books is Each Peach Pear Plum . It’s an “eye spy” book and at the very end all the characters share a plum pie. I didn’t even know you could use plums to make a pie, but I promised the grandbaby that as soon as plums were in season, I would bake her a plum pie.

Well, plums are in season now so last week I bought some to make her pie with. There will be no picture of this pie. I did not check for a recipe until after I bought the plums. The recipe called for four cups of sliced plums - I had about two and a half. This was around 3 p.m. on Sunday - my company was due to arrive around 4 p.m. Not time to go to the store. But then I remembered the packages of fruit I’d found in the freezer (not sure why I bought them) and thawed out the “Mango Medley” - mango, peach, and strawberry - and mixed them in with the plums.

It was not the prettiest pie I ever made, but it wasn’t too gross looking. It might have been better with ice cream, but I didn’t think of getting any. Much to my surprise it had a nice fruity taste, although I found one of the fruits - the mangos maybe - was a little on the bitter side. But the important thing is, Grammy kept her promise.

I had a great deal of satisfaction crossing item after item from my list and I’ve decided I’m going to keep it up. I just need to learn how to prioritize. And while it perhaps wasn’t a very relaxing weekend, at least it was a productive one. ;-)

No comments: