Jul 4, 2016

Multicapitate Monday

multicapitate ~ many-headed

Happy Holidays everyone! We Canadians had our day off on Friday, while you Yankees are having your day off today. It’s win/win all around!

The hubby and I celebrated Canada Day (and incidentally our anniversary) by driving to the good Cineplex to see Independence Day: Resurgence on the big screen. Man, am I ever glad we didn’t see it in 3D. It was action packed enough as it was without adding things flying at you.

It was really good though. We got to see several familiar characters, a couple of characters all grown up, and we met a few new characters. And I must say, considering only twenty years were supposed to have passed, technology sure advanced fast. There was the usual mix of good people and dumb ass people, and lots of in the air fighting. And they set things up nicely to make a third movie, should they care to.

It was a good weekend for movies apparently because the daughter and I went to see Tarzan yesterday afternoon (the hubby didn’t care to get drooled on throughout an entire movie).

I am a big time Edgar Rice Burroughs fan (he’s the one who wrote the Tarzan books - all 24 of them), and I’ve been disappointed many times in the past over Tarzan movies, but this has got to be one of the best ones ever! Despite the fact that Alexander Skarsgard is blond, he made an excellent Tarzan. And not only was the casting for Jane perfect, I really enjoyed their portrayal of her as well.

And the best part of all about these two movies? Now the hubby knows what he can get me for Christmas. LOL

It was a busy week and a busier weekend, filled with trying to catch up on a project I’ve been neglecting, a little extra babysitting, and a lot of plans getting derailed. But one thing that did work out all right was last night’s desert:



It’s a strawberry cheese shortcake. Strawberries were on sale at one of the local grocery stores so it was pretty much a given that I’d come home with some. I thought the price of the in-store shortcakes was a little much, but I also didn’t want to have to bake a whole cake just to have some for the strawberries.

But cream cheese was also on sale so I thought I’d do a cheesecake and put the strawberries on that. And since I was using strawberries on top I figured why not throw some in as well. Which, in retrospect, I should have thought twice about. It wasn’t that the strawberries were bad in the cheesecake, it just made the cheesecake a little moister than I’d like.

But it tasted really good, and that’s what counts, right? ;-)

No comments: