Jan 2, 2017

Mirabilia Monday

mirabilia ~ marvels; miracles

Everybody have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year? Happy to see the end of 2016 and welcome 2017 with open arms? Just so you know, we’re not out of the woods yet. 2016 was the Year of the Monkey in the Chinese calendar, and monkeys love to play tricks, which accounts for the difficulties of the year. The Year of the Monkey doesn’t end until January 27 - let’s hope the Year of the Rooster is kinder.

I’m just happy all the holiday stuff is behind us now. More and more I’m finding the holidays are too people-y, and I can only handle people in small doses. And sadly, it’s not quite over for me yet. We missed one of the family get togethers due to weather issues, and we’ve yet to come up with an alternate plan.

I’ve had ten days off from babysitting, and I’m happy to report that other than the one day I lost to a stomach flu, I’ve been putting my time to good use. There was the holiday madness of baking and cooking and sewing and crafting, and since then there’s been the finishing of An Elemental Earth and the cleaning of the office.

Which is one of the reasons this post is so late. I was up until 11p.m. last night working in the office, and then I really needed a break so I watched Star Trek: Into Darkness. Which means it was something like 3 a.m. before I got to bed. This morning I woke up at my usual time, got up to feed the cats, then took an Advil for my headache and went back to bed for a while. ;-)

Anyway, there are no pictures of the office yet. Everything in there is clean - excerpt for the cushion in the reading nook - but I still need to put stuff back where it belongs. I’d move stuff to a clean surface as I cleaned and I just didn’t have the energy to put everything back again. I’ve come to the inescapable conclusion: I have a lot of books. And knick knacks.

While I was doing that, the hubby was slaving away in the bathroom. After doing a couple of test strips and lining things up to have a look, I decided against sponge painting the walls. One, I really didn’t like the look of the test board, and two, I decided that having a patterned floor, patterned tiles, and patterned paint was too much pattern.

Maybe if I was more familiar with the sponging technique, or maybe if I was using several different colours of paint I’d feel differently, but I kind of like the clean look of the dark paint. Hubby’s not too sure, but he’s also pretty sure he won’t want to re-paint the walls again because they look tacky.

It was too hard to try and get a picture of both the floor and the walls together (because there’s all that space to be tiled in between, so I’m just going to show a picture of the floor, because it’s really spectacular. You can see a bit of the paint at the top of the picture:



The guy who was supposed to help hubby with the tiling hasn’t been available, so in the interest of time (and because he’s never tiled before) hubby has hired someone to come in to do it for us. Which means, my friends, the end is near for the bathroom reno!

This is the point where I usually talk about my goals for the upcoming year, and recap how I did on last year’s goals. However, because I’ve been such a blogging slacker the last few weeks, this post has ran rather long. And since a lot of my goals are kind of writing related anyway, I decided to post them on My Writing Journal. So just click on the link if you’re curious. :-D

Welcome to 2017!

No comments: