Aug 14, 2017

Mittimus Monday

mittimus ~ warrant granted for sending a charged person to jail

If you’ve been reading my Monday posts for any length of time then my next statement should come as no surprise at all. My vacation last week did not go as planned.

The prospect of a whole week of free time was mind-boggling. I was going to start on the weekend (the first weekend, which was a holiday weekend) by doing some cosmetic changes to my blogs and coming up with a workable schedule for writing during the week. Maybe I would even make a list of other stuff I’d like to get done: check out my yarn stash and get started on some Christmas presents, organize my recipes with an eye to healthier eating, sit on the deck and read, check out my material stash a do a little sewing...

Yeah, none of that happened.

You heard about the beginning of The Great Bookcase Switcheroo last week. If you haven’t, go HERE. By Wednesday I was afraid it was going to turn into the Neverending Bookcase Story.

I don’t know about you, but I have found that five shelves for a six foot high bookcase is not nearly enough. And apparently they don’t sell extra shelves for that colour of bookcase (they do for the other colours) so the hubby bought a third bookcase thinking we could just use the shelves from it. Only when we got it home he said, “Why don’t we swap out this bookcase with the last one from your office so they all match?”

I was on board with the idea because a) the bookcase left in my office was just a slightly different birch colour than the new ones, and b) the permanent shelves of the new ones were in a slightly different place so cosmetically speaking it would look better. So I emptied the last bookcase - the one with the double rows of paperbacks - and we put the new one in its place. I used the adjustable shelves from it for the other two bookcases and once I had the hubby drill extra holes for the little metal thingies that hold the shelves, I was able to finish the first two bookcases.

Looked good. Or so I thought. Until I tried to use the shelves from the old bookcase in the new one and discovered a major problem - the new bookcases were an inch and a half wider than the old ones which made the shelves useless. So the next day (which would be Tuesday) I went to Walmart and picked up another bookcase, the shorter version of the big one. This gave me six extra shelves to work with (if you count cutting down the sides).

Now it was a matter of putting all the piles, boxes, and bins of stuff back on the shelves. Believe it or not, I actually weeded out three boxes of books to donate in the process, and I did a lot of rearranging of books.

Now, one of my main reasons for wanting a bookcase on the landing (aside from using up some of that wasted space) was to make it easier for the hubby to access his CDs, and maybe have a place where we could put our DVDs. The bookcase from the dining room is perfect for CDs, you’d think it had been built for that purpose.



In fact, it holds his entire CD collection in one place with room to spare (at least there’ll be room to spare until I get some of my CDs in there) Unfortunately, it did not work so great for DVDs. However ... there’s a tall, square, bookcase in the living room that was designed for paperback books that was the perfect fit for DVDs.



Of course that meant emptying it first, finding new homes for the books that were in it, and gathering up the DVDs that were kind of spread around. Once that was finished I needed to turn my attention to the bookcases now in the dining room that were only partially filled. You can sort of see them in the above picture.

It was about Thursday by this time, and while you’d think I might have carved out a little guilt free time to do something ... I don’t know, fun? for the remainder of my vacation, I had company coming for the weekend so I kind of needed to put my dining room back together.



Believe it or not, I did have the living room and dining room put back together by lunch time on Saturday (when my company arrived).



My office, on the other hand, will be a story for another day.


No comments: