Aug 28, 2017

Murage Monday

murage ~ tax for the upkeep of walls

If you’re not one of my Facebook friends, then you missed my big news from last week: I finally got my tattoo.



That picture was taken by my tattoo artist just after he was done, which is why it looks a little red and swollen. I’d have taken a new one for this post but I’ve just entered the flaking and peeling stage. It’s not itchy, but I’m finding it really hard to resist peeling it like I would a healing sunburn. ;-)

Other than that it was a fairly quiet week. I spent a lot of time going through the kitchen cupboards ferreting out glassware to add to my growing pile of stuff to be donated. Despite the fact that a lot of it hadn’t been used in more than ten years, some of it even longer than that, if ever, it was surprisingly hard to part with some of it. But I put on my big girl underpants and sucked it up.

After the daughter added some clothes and toys, I had a full load for the car. Including, I might add, five boxes of books! Then my friend and I drove up to Peterborough to a thrift store that raises money for the Children’s Wish Foundation.

And you know that after unloading all that we naturally had to check the store out. They were having a half price sale on toys, so it’s safe to say the grandbaby made out like a bandit. I found her a large set of plastic dishes and a whole fleet of cars and trucks.

I also found a couple of pair of shoes for her (that weren’t on sale), a pair for me, a bisque dragon to paint, and - don’t judge me - a Slap Chop. I confess, I’ve wanted one for ages. My mother had a similar device she used for chopping nuts. I hate having to mince onions or garlic or whatever, so it’s going to come in handy. If nothing else, my fried egg breakfast sandwiches are going to be more interesting.

Friday the son-in-law had an emergency so he dropped the grandbaby off early. She discovered the bag of peanuts I keep for the blue jays in the kitchen and insisted on putting some out for the birds. Then she stood on the deck yelling: “Blue jays, come get peanuts!”

I tried to interest her in helping me pick up sticks in the back yard but she was more interested in moving the peanuts from the table on the deck to the table on the patio. At least I thought that’s what she was doing. The hubby later fished 16 of them out of the pool when he was cleaning it. :-D

She was having so much fun she didn’t want to go back to her house for lunch, so I bribed her with a trip to the park. We went to one of the smaller parks that had a big slide structure, two dinosaurs to sit on, and most importantly, no swings. It’s almost impossible to get her off a swing once she’s on one.



As it was, I had to bribe her with a trip to see Grappy at the office to get her away from the park. It may have been a round about route to get her home, but we did get there.

Eventually.

2 comments:

Ann Bennett said...

Such an adorable tyrant, I know she is a joy. You are my type of gram. I just give children choices I can live with.

I don't know if I could take the pain of a tattoo. I considered getting one in my twenties. I am 61 now. I'm glad I did not. My idea was a flower or butterfly which are overdone. lol I hope you enjoy your tattoo.

C R Ward said...

The pain wasn't bad at all. This wasn't my first tattoo and it won't be my last. And I'll be in my 60s before I get my last one. :-D